Training Log, Week of January 29, 2018

This past week was about 24 miles of running (I KNOW) and a lovely bout of some coughing disease.  I'm not sure what happened there.  I was only truly miserable for a day, didn't really have a fever for very long, and didn't really skip out on too many workouts.  I'm a weirdo and actually feel better while I'm running, even if I'm sick.  Hard workouts also help me sleep better at night, which is invaluable.  

Also, enjoy some phone photos.  I know, right?

Monday - 9.2 miles at 9:13/mile, average heart rate 176.  This was an awkward distance, but I wanted to run the entirely of a local trail, in order to make some new Strava segments.  I'm nice like that.  I got the data uploaded and saw a bunch of Ragnar race segments as well, which was kind of cool.  

In retrospect, I should have noticed my higher-than-average heart rate and figured out I was getting ill.  Live and learn.


Tuesday - One mile with my lazy-ass dog, 9:01 pace (haha).  She totally stopped to poop, though, because she doesn't care about watch pauses.  Then I played intramural softball, pitching and then fielding.  We won the game, even though the other team was an all-male fraternity team full of jocks.  The photo above is from the athletic complex.  I know I don't show my kids that much, but they're pretty cute.  Maybe I'm biased.

During the game, I started feeling weird.  Like spacey and dehydrated.  I thought it was probably the strong halogen lights, but NOPE.  Full blown wheezing started during the night.



Wednesday - 4.5 miles at 9:09/mile, average heart rate 132.  I took this one very very easy.  I had the opportunity to run while my husband watched the kids, so I took it.  Sometimes that's the best decision (especially when the alternative is flailing around on the couch feeling exhausted and depressed).

Side note:  If you see me posting "slow" runs and calling them challenging, then posting faster ones and saying they are "easy" there's probably more going on than you get from the Strava data or description.  I run a lot of hills here, and that can really affect pace and perceived effort.  I also run on some weird surfaces, like pea gravel, flagstones, leaf litter, trails, mud, etc.  Sometimes I even push a stroller like a maniac.  Wednesday's easy run seems fast because it was on nice asphalt and away from big hills and windy spots.  Anyway.


Thursday - no run, just rest

Friday - 5.3 miles at 9:21/mile, average heart rate 158.  I felt marginally better when I woke up, and didn't have fever anymore.  So I did another easy run.  Almost got run over by my husband's boss, which was exciting.  I took a picture of that night's dinner, so I must have been impressed with it.  Split pea soup, roasted golden beets, and coconut oil biscuits. 



Saturday - 4 miles at 8:16/mile, average heart rate 164.  This run felt amazing.  The weather was ridiculous, though, about 15 degrees and sleeting.  I ran down frat row, which is always interesting on the weekend.  The last mile was 7:54, so huh?  I haven't been comfortable at that pace in MONTHS.

Sunday - nothing.  Sundays are tough.

Have a great week, everyone!

Comments

Popular Posts