Training Log, Week of January 15, 2018

Well, as soon as I say I am *definitely* going to do something, my life (the baby, mostly) is like, "LOL no."

This past week was another with exactly 25 miles of running, all outdoors.  Since I can't vary the type of workout at all, I try to vary the type of running...different surfaces, speeds, distances, terrain, etc. 

I feel like I probably need twelve solid weeks of this sort of base building before escalating things.  Looking back at Strava, it seems I am now in the twelfth week of consistent and boring mileage.  Seems about right.  I'm going to add a bit more mileage, then some casual speed work like fartleks and some ladder intervals.



Monday - 6 miles at 8:42/mile, average heart rate 166.  This was on a flat-ish paved trail.  I had a sitter for some work obligations, then used my remaining time to run.  Hence the lively pace.

Tuesday - snow day, sledding with the kids

Wednesday - snow day, stayed inside after I saw temperatures in the negative range

Thursday  - ran a slow mile on my driveway (yep) to test the ice situation.  It seemed okay, so I went out for 3 miles at 9:33/mile, average heart rate 138.  Nice and easy.  The roads were very icy, but I found some secure footing.

Friday - 6 miles at 9:09/mile, average heart rate 169.  The previous day, I noticed that my feet were much more secure on dirt trails than on pavement, so I did a snowy trail run.  It was beautiful and probably one of the most pleasurable runs I've had since getting pregnant with Child #2.  As the distance from town increased, the number of footprints in the snow gradually diminished, until I was running on fresh snow in the quiet woods.  I saw deer, a fox, a red tailed hawk, and some coyotes.

Saturday - 5 miles at 9:33/mile, average heart rate 167.  This was an afternoon run.  Didn't feel great.

Sunday - And then suddenly...it was 60 degrees.  Weird, I know.  I wore shorts and a singlet, but the lakes were all still frozen solid.  I felt comfortable taking Child #2 outdoors, and since he can sit up now we used the For Real Jogging Stroller, the fixed wheel rig that is light as a feather.  This was 4 miles at 10:09/mile, average heart rate 148.  Stroller makes me bust a gut, uff da.

Comments

Popular Posts