Let's Talk About April

As I shared several weeks back, I'm fairly sure I am dealing with a bone stress injury to my left tibia.  First of all, I feel stupid.  Secondly, I'm scared of a more serious injury, or delayed healing, so I took April like 90% "off" from running. 

Here's what that looked like:

Week of April 2
Monday - Bikrim yoga
Tuesday - Rest
Wednesday - Ashtanga yoga primary series
Thursday - Rest
Friday - Rest
Saturday - Rest
Sunday - 35-minute full body "bodyweight" circuit.  I'll probably post several "bodyweight circuit" thingies for this month, so I'll go ahead and clarify that these are good ol' fashioned calisthenics circuits that I design.  They use compound muscle movements (squat, burpee, etc.) to elevate heart rate and bodyweight resistance exercises (push ups, bridges, etc.) to build strength.  #nogymlife

Week of April 9
Monday - 20 minutes on the stationary bike; 25-minute circuit of abs, bench press, shoulder press
Tuesday - Rest
Wednesday - 25-minute circuit of squats, dead lift, bench press, and abs
Thursday - Rest
Friday - 40-minute circuit of abs, bench press, dead lift, and squats, then foam rolling and stretching
Saturday - Intended to rest, then ended up pushing both kids in the double stroller for about a mile and a half.  Fast walking.  In the rain.  Long story.
Sunday - Rest

Week of April 16 
Monday - Put my bike on a fluid trainer and rode 35 minutes (no HR monitor), followed by some stretch/balance work and foam rolling
Tuesday - 30-minute trainer ride (avg HR 158)
Wednesday - 40-minute trainer ride (avg HR 160), 10 minutes of abs
Thursday - 50 minutes for legs and a bizarrely difficult bodyweight circuit
Friday - 50-minute trainer ride (avg HR 150)
Saturday - 25 minutes for chest and back
Sunday - Rest

Week of April 23
Monday - 45-minute trainer ride (avg HR 128)
Tuesday - Rest
Wednesday - 45 minutes for abs, overhead press, and dead lift
Thursday - "Fitstar 15" a 15-minute bodyweight circuit that lives on my watch
Friday - 45-minute bodyweight circuit and abs
Saturday - 1 mile walk/run on dirt.  It felt okay during the exercise, but I had some slight localized pain afterward.  I can't tell if I'm being paranoid or extra cautious.
Sunday - 45-minute bodyweight circuit, 1 mile walk/run on dirt.  Again, running felt absolutely FINE during.  No pain whatsoever.  But I have kind of a dull ache in the same spot on my tibia afterwards, mainly in the evening and when I put lateral pressure on the bone itself.  Not sure what's going on, but I'm giving myself another mandatory week off of running.

I know this stuff is boring, and maybe I'll eventually turn it into a "Recovery From Bone Stress Injury" training guide.  But for now the name of the game is to work on other strengths.  Mainly, all the sportsing I would do if I didn't ordinarily waste so much time running.  


Comments

Anonymous said…
I'm in a sad, similar boat, but with Peroneal tendon inflammation. I was training for a half, then boom, hurts to roll my ankle. So much cross-training on the horizon.

Popular Posts