A Week of Workouts - April 18, 2016

This is going to be a quick one!  It's federal tax day in the U.S., and needless to say I am busy.  It's also Marathon Monday, and I've been excitedly watching the results of the eleven (!) people from my track club who ran in the Boston Marathon.

I did finish this book, a light running-related memoir.


Also of note:  I really think I got the weight lifting bug out of my system, and I am starting to dial back on those workouts again.  Just trying to keep it interesting, and mix up the training.  I'm still planning to do weights each Wednesday, and focus mostly on my weak areas (chest, shoulders) and performance goals (pull ups, core strength).

Monday - 3.2 @ 9:32 on the treadmill.  I just didn't feel much like running, for whatever reason.  I followed it up with ~30 minutes of weight training.  I squatted 70# for 5x5, then did some sets of resistance band pull ups, then some set of leg ups.

Tuesday - 6.8 @ 8:50 on the treadmill.  I woke up feeling very energized and well rested, so this run was fun.  I just listened to music for an hour and enjoyed the work on the treadmill.  I also did 20 minutes of weights, including a set of "Super Tens" for shoulders, some 30# bicep barbell curls, and an ab circuit.

Wednesday - an hour of free weights with my gym partner, Katherine.  Here is the workout:

Upright Row 50# 4x10
Barbell Row 40# 4x10
Deadlift 65# 1x5
Deadlift 115# 4x5 (this is a PR for me!)
Shoulder Super Tens, one round with 12.5#, then three rounds with 10#
Cable Step Ups 50#, 8 each side in 4 directions
Cable Compass Pulls 12#, 10 each side in 4 directions
Push ups, sit ups, and Ab Dolly work (ow)
Two chin ups, just for good measure
Then, Katherine took me outside to the Alpha Tower, where I tried unsuccessfully to climb a rope.

With the rope climbing, I managed to get about halfway up using lower body strength, got freaked out, ripped a callous off, and fell.  Very exciting. 

Thursday - 5.1 @ 8:42 on the treadmill.  Honestly, I don't remember doing this workout and Strava makes it look like I just ducked into the gym for 45 minutes.  Busy times.

Friday - 5 @ 9:06 in an exceptionally hilly part of town.  I dropped my son off, then drove out to run trails on Laurel Mountain.  When I got there, it was thundering and very windy.  A light rain started to fall and I decided the trail would be a bad idea.  I just ran around the trailhead and a nice suburb, and got in some good hill climbing.  It was a fun run.

Long run life. 


Saturday - 13.7 @ 9:13 with the track club.  It was still incredibly windy!  I mean, the type of wind that blows the spit out of your mouth and over your shoulder when you try to breathe!  It was nasty.  Also, so many people were traveling for the Boston Marathon and a big club event at the Destin, Florida marathon weekend, that the route wasn't really planned well.  This week's organizer just pulled up a few race routes on MapMyRun and stitched them together.  We climbed two of the worst hills in town, including the notorious Stone River Hill.  It wrecked my pace, but I didn't walk on it even once!  My heart rate data told me this was my toughest run since mid-December.  I'll take it. 

I'm guessing you can probably spot Stone River Hill in this profile.  The one that starts at mile 10 is another evil hill called "Coffee Hill" by locals, and I am pretty famous for going to great lengths to avoid it.  It is just such a grind!  And always comes at the end of the long run. 


Sunday - Total rest.  I looked at my training log and saw that I hadn't had a full day of rest since Easter (March 27).  Because of my husband's job, Sundays are often the toughest days.  It seems like his schedule is going to preclude my going to my beloved Ashtanga yoga class for most of the spring and summer, which makes me really sad.  I just took the day off and focused on...you know...life. 

The end!  Have a great week, everyone! 

Comments

Popular Posts