Workouts - November 9, 2015

Another week, another race!

In honor of fall racing, I'd like to start things out with a hilarious photo.  My husband just switched phones, so he downloaded a bunch of photos and shared them with me.  Here is the face I make seconds after finishing a 5k:

"Don't puke don't puke don't puke."

You're welcome for that.  This was a bit of a lower mileage week for me.  I started another very hard weight training cycle on November 1st, and it has cut into some of my running time.  I know that it will make me much faster in the long run, though.  I also ran the phenomenal Vulcan 10k on Saturday, which replaced my usual long run.  I'll have a recap up later in the week.

Monday: 2 @ 11:39 with my dog, to get the day started off right.  After family and work obligations, I headed to the gym for treadmill miles (3 @ 8:00) and an hour-long squat and deadlift workout that destroyed me.  This was less than 12 hours after my Sunday evening plyometrics workout, and I was wrecked.  You need days like this to get stronger, though.


My newest running partner.  I'm planning a "dog running" post, too, because I think my little Dog 2 5k training plan is working!

Tuesday: Easy 8 @ 9:17 on one of my regular loops.  I do my easy runs by starting very slow and letting a natural progression build, all without looking at my watch.  The first mile was 9:40 and the last mile was 8:50.

Wednesday: 2 @ 9:50 with my dog, then a back and shoulders workout.  My shoulders are the body part where I could stand to gain the most strength and size, so I am really working them with heavy weights this month.  That night, I went to the chiropractor.  I have dropped down to once a week for maintenance, and the visits are routine and painless now.

Right after that, I went to a track club event to demo run in the new Saucony Triumph ISO 2, and did 3 @ 9:56 with some awesome ladies.  It's so funny to me that the track club has "morning runners" and "evening runners," and our paths don't cross very often!  I am also beyond excited that the Saucony rep gave me a brand new pair of Triumph ISO 2s to wear out and keep tabs on for my blog and Strava followers.  Ordinarily, I would never even try a "plush" shoe like this, as I prefer a snappy feel and being closer to the pavement, but they are the most cushiony shoes.  I decided to go even more outside of my comfort zone and get the hot pink color, too.  Haha.

Looking forward to dirtying these up.

I'm also looking forward to giving you guys a real review of them.  All I got was the free shoes, and Saucony doesn't really expect anything of me in the future, so I can be completely honest.  I wouldn't do it any other way.  FYI: the new "Everrun" soles on these are supposed to compete with Hokas (which I haven't tried because I think they are unbelievably ugly).

Thursday: Treadmill fartlek, which worked out to 4.5 @ 8:53.  Followed by an hour-long weights circuit, focused on chest and biceps.  Two days out from a race, I like to do a little fartlek workout.  The "fast" intervals were 7:19 pace and the "slow" ones were 9:50.

Friday: Rest day!

Saturday: Jogged to the start of my race (.6 @ 9:55), then raced the 10k (6.2 @ 47:40).  I have mixed emotions about this race...I feel like I met several goals (PR, trophy shirt, age group award) but it really wasn't my day and I feel like I could have done better.  It was also pouring rain, which seems to be something that happens to me a lot on race days!  I'm already working on the recap, so I hope to have that up soon.

Sunday: 2 @ 10:09 with my dog, and wearing my squishy new shoes.  She is now running without stopping for eight minutes at a time!  She's a rock star!  We still have a ways to go, and my ultimate goal for her is to complete a 5k in under 30 minutes.  I know she can do it!  She understands what is going on now, and she is really excited to run.  But, like most runners, she needs to figure out how to poop BEFORE the workout starts, LOL.  I ended the day with a brutal two-hour full body circuit with heavy weights.  UGH.  It has to be done, though.

You can't even feel gravel underneath the soles, which sort of freaks me out, but I'm going with it. 


Totals: 31.6 miles of running, including three runs with my dog and one race.  Four (!) weight training sessions.

Have a great week, and as always thank you for reading!

Comments

Popular Posts